This past week we have grieved the tragic, violent death of George Floyd … we have watched protests … seen destruction take place … and named the racism that is among and within us.
This is how we as FUMC are responding:
• We name the sin of systemic racism and proclaim that discrimination in any form is evil and against the Gospel.
• We declare that ALL people are fully and equally created in the image of God
• As the sign at First UMC boldly proclaims: WE STAND FOR RACIAL JUSTICE & EQUALITY
• We will make bold proclamations on our website, Facebook and other places that we stand for racial justice and equality
• We will continue to make masks to give to the NAACP to distribute and explore joining the NAACP as a congregation
• We will learn together. There is a book study for the community on the book, “White Fragility.” 50 people are already participating and all of us will have opportunity later in the summer
• Zoom Meeting TODAY following worship for anyone interested in talking about recent current events (processing events & emotions, sharing ideas). All are welcome to join following the service.https://umn.zoom.us/my/jojocl
• We are starting a Social JUSTICE Action Committee:
A committee that is formulated specifically for this time, how we as individuals and as a congregation respond to racism in our society. All are welcome! Specifically invite youth/young adult voices! Jojo Coffin-Langdon will be the staff person to take the lead on this committee. Please email her if you would like to join. Families@FUMCduluth.com
• Be praying for love to guide us … for deep community to form us … for justice and equality to take root
Twin Ports United Methodist Ministries – Laity Sunday
Nine locations, one Methodist movement:
Asbury UMC, Faith UMC of Superior, First UMC, Forbes UMC, Hillside UMC, Hope UMC, Northwood UMC, Norton Park UMC, United Church of Two Harbors
Today, July 5, is a combined service of all nine United Methodist churches in the Twin Ports and is led completely by lay people from each congregation.
The service will be available at 10am. You can also look for links, on this page, on the homepage, and on our Facebook page.
First Family is temporarily being published as an online only newsletter until we are able to safely allow our staff to return to the office. While there are most certainly disadvantages to not being able to distribute a physical First Family, the advantages of having it available on our website are numerous. July’s edition joins years of archived newsletters. They are always there and they are searchable. This edition has had all the links activated—something we were never able to do with the print version.
Take look, share the link, bookmark the page, download to have on your computer (and you can still print it if you wish). If you, or someone you know, would like to have First Family delivered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
During July we will continue to worship online on YouTube every Sunday morning at 10am. The service can be watched any time after 10am Sunday morning, but we encourage as many of us as possible to watch together at 10am as a community of faith.
• July 5 – All nine Twin Port UMC churches will worship together on this laity-led Sunday
• July 12 – Holy Communion. Have juice (or something to drink) and bread (or something to eat) available at worship time so we can join together for this sacred meal.
• July 19 – Rev. Charlotte Franz is preaching on awakening to the ways in which “the other” are treated, and learning the lessons taught by the brown-skinned Jesus.
Ruby’s Pantry-Coppertop has been distributing food at First United Methodist, the Coppertop Church at 230 East Skyline Parkway, on the third Thursday of every month since 2010. Ruby’s Pantry-Coppertop is a community partner of Ruby’s Pantry. There are no income guidelines and anyone may participate.
For a $20 donation (cash only; checks and EBT cards cannot be accepted), participants receive approximately two large boxes of food. Please bring your own boxes — laundry baskets work very well.
Contents of a share vary depending upon what food is available to Ruby’s Pantry at the time; some typical items are listed below. We often post information about food items at facebook.com/rubyspantrycoppertop on distribution day.
Food distribution at FUMC is on the third Thursday of every month, with registration from 4 to 6:30pm and distribution beginning at about 5:15 and continuing until the distribution ends at about 6:45pm.
Give an hour or more, anytime between 3 and 8 pm. Choose a task: welcome, traffic control, unloading truck, food repackaging, food distribution, carry-out helper, box recycling, clean-up. It’s easy and fun!
Volunteers are always welcome. If you are interested in volunteering or have questions, please call First Methodist Church at 727-5021.