Lennon-Berini Scholarship Application
2021 Lennon-Berini Scholarship Applications
In the 1950s two young men, John Lennon and Joe Berini, served as First Methodist staff members and worked with Duluth youth, particularly in the Central Hillside area. To commemorate their work, a scholarship fund was developed in 1985.
Subsequent contributions have helped to sustain the Fund and allow for the presentation of 97 scholarships totaling $104,190. The Lennon-Berini Scholarships for 2021 will be $2,000 each.
The criteria for qualifying as an applicant are:
• Be a member of Duluth’s First United Methodist Church
• Have completed at least two years of college; and
• Be pursuing a people-centered career.
Application forms will be available on the church’s website July 1, 2021. They will need to be fully completed and turned in by 4pm. on July 23. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants have two options for submitting materials:
1) Print all materials and submit in hard-copy form to Selection Committee Chair Terry Wallin, 29 East Toledo Street, Duluth, MN 55811.
2) Compile all materials (including completed application form, transcripts, recommendations, and candidate statements) into a single electronic file and send it to Terry Wallin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships will be awarded during the August 22, 10am Sunday worship service at First United Methodist Church.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. The Scholarships will be awarded in January.