This past week we have grieved the tragic, violent death of George Floyd … we have watched protests … seen destruction take place … and named the racism that is among and within us.
• We name the sin of systemic racism and proclaim that discrimination in any form is evil and against the Gospel.
• We declare that ALL people are fully and equally created in the image of God
• As the sign at First UMC boldly proclaims: WE STAND FOR RACIAL JUSTICE & EQUALITY
• We will make bold proclamations on our website, Facebook and other places that we stand for racial justice and equality
• We will continue to make masks to give to the NAACP to distribute and explore joining the NAACP as a congregation
• We will learn together. There is a book study for the community on the book, “White Fragility.” 50 people are already participating and all of us will have opportunity later in the summer
• Zoom Meeting TODAY following worship for anyone interested in talking about recent current events (processing events & emotions, sharing ideas). All are welcome to join following the service.https://umn.zoom.us/my/jojocl
• We are starting a Social JUSTICE Action Committee:
A committee that is formulated specifically for this time, how we as individuals and as a congregation respond to racism in our society. All are welcome! Specifically invite youth/young adult voices! Jojo Coffin-Langdon will be the staff person to take the lead on this committee. Please email her if you would like to join. Families@FUMCduluth.com
• Be praying for love to guide us … for deep community to form us … for justice and equality to take root