October 31, 2020
We have grieved the tragic, violent death of George Floyd … we have watched protests … seen destruction take place … and named the racism that is among and within us.
This is how we as FUMC are responding:
• We name the sin of systemic racism and proclaim that discrimination in any form is evil and against the Gospel.
• We declare that ALL people are fully and equally created in the image of God
• As the sign at First UMC boldly proclaims: WE STAND FOR RACIAL JUSTICE & EQUALITY
• We will make bold proclamations on our website, Facebook and other places that we stand for racial justice and equality
• We will continue to make masks to give to the NAACP to distribute and explore joining the NAACP as a congregation
• We will learn together. There is a book study for the community on the book, “White Fragility.” 50 people are already participating and all of us will have opportunity later in the summer
• We are starting a Social JUSTICE Action Committee:
A committee that is formulated specifically for this time, how we as individuals and as a congregation respond to racism in our society. All are welcome! Specifically invite youth/young adult voices! Jojo Coffin-Langdon will be the staff person to take the lead on this committee. Please email her if you would like to join. Families@FUMCduluth.com
• Be praying for love to guide us … for deep community to form us … for justice and equality to take root
May 1, 2019
Third Thursday of the month
Food for all who need to stretch their food dollars:
Ruby’s Pantry-Coppertop has been distributing food at First United Methodist, the Coppertop Church at 230 East Skyline Parkway, on the third Thursday of every month since 2010. Ruby’s Pantry-Coppertop is a community partner of Ruby’s Pantry. There are no income guidelines and anyone may participate.
For a $20 donation (cash only; checks and EBT cards cannot be accepted), participants receive approximately two large boxes of food. Please bring your own boxes — laundry baskets work very well.
Contents of a share vary depending upon what food is available to Ruby’s Pantry at the time; some typical items are listed below. We often post information about food items at facebook.com/rubyspantrycoppertop on distribution day.
Food distribution at FUMC is on the third Thursday of every month, with registration from 4 to 6:30pm and distribution beginning at about 5:15 and continuing until the distribution ends at about 6:45pm.
Give an hour or more, anytime between 3 and 8 pm. Choose a task: welcome, traffic control, unloading truck, food repackaging, food distribution, carry-out helper, box recycling, clean-up. It’s easy and fun!
Volunteers are always welcome. If you are interested in volunteering or have questions, please call First Methodist Church at 727-5021.